Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pushing through the Fear

So it happened. I'm 30,000 words into my manuscript and the fear is creeping in. It's a stupid idea, I tell myself. No one will ever want to read it. Who are you to think you can write a book and people will actually pay to read it?

I get these thoughts in my head and it's like quicksand. The negativity happens when I design a book or sign up to compete in a triathlon with a longer distance or when I see a cute guy I like. Anytime I try to stretch myself, it comes over me.

I know some of these thoughts are wrong, but I also know some are probably true. I've attempted things in the past that I've failed at. Though I'm usually good about pushing through the fear but with writing a book, it's different. For one thing, it's a crapload of work down the toilet if I suck. For another, I have a lot more pride wrapped up in my writing than I do my triathlons.

So here's the question: How do you know you've got a good idea for a book? How do you know it's worth pursuing? How do you know you don't suck?

1 comment:

  1. I think you have little to worry about. If you are writing a book you would read then it is a book worth writing. Look, not everyone is going to 'get it' or even 'like it'. But what should you care, you are not writing for them. You should write for like minded people who understand you and for your family and friends. They will enjoy it and be proud for you. You will have had success and accomplished something you can share with the world. At least that is my opinion. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete