Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Did I take a sleeping pill while I was asleep?

This a question most normal people never have to ask themselves — yet I find myself wondering if I did.

Last night I had a dream that I got out of bed and, frustrated by not being asleep, took a sleeping pill. I would write this off as just a dream except for two small problems: I sleepwalk occasionally and last night I woke up in the bathroom.

I've sleptwalked and talked since I was a child. I thought it was something that I would eventually grow out of, like pimples. But, as with pimples, this annoying tick of mine rears its ugly head up now and then. There was the time I woke up with the entire contents of my purse on my floor and my purse in bed with me. Or when I went to bed wearing a long t-shirt and woke up wearing jogging pants (I just hope it was because I was cold and not that I went jogging).

My roommates and family have learned not to ask me if I'm asleep because this just angers me. In a small way, I'm aware of what I'm doing even if I have no control over it, so I get offended when people tell me I'm asleep. I've accepted my life comes with certain limitations. I'll never sleep naked. I can't sleep with a door open, in fact I sometimes prop things under my door to stop me. And I will never make friends after ten, since I'm usually angry or confused by then.

Don't worry about me, though. As far as I know, I've never left my house or apartment or endangered myself or others in any way. I don't even think I took the pill, despite being unusually sleepy on my way to work (luckily, I carpool). In my dream, I'm fairly sure I took the pill in the bathroom but when I woke up the pills were in the kitchen. And, if I did, the pill are over-the-counter and mild.

1 comment:

  1. I am fascinated by sleep-walkers. I am going to write a book featuring one very soon. I can just feel it.

    ReplyDelete