Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hard Life Lesson from Dad

Back in the glory days when publishers actually made money, my company bought us all Ipods for Christmas. One coworker was especially excited because she craved being able to listen to music at work. A few months later, I noticed that she was no longer using her Ipod. I asked her why and she said that she gave it to her teenage daughter who lost her own (which had also been a Christmas gift).

I laughed out loud in disbelief.

When I was five years old, I had one shiny quarter. I carried that quarter in my pocket to the state fair determined to buy something. (No, I'm not super old, I just had a five-year-old's understanding of what things cost). As we were walking in from the parking lot, I reached into my pocket to discover I had lost the quarter.

I told my dad about my predicament and asked him to replace the quarter. He replied, no. I pleaded and he said, "If I lost a hundred dollars, do you think I could go to Grandpa and ask him for more money?"

I knew the answer was no, but I tried to point out there was a large difference between a hundred dollars and a quarter. He remained firm and I learned a valuable lesson, never ask my dad for a quarter. I mean, if you lose something, only you are responsible for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment