Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ebook Versus Real Book: The Dracula Experiment

I create digital books (along with creating real books) for a living and I have a confession, I don't own an E-reader.

I have programs that simulate what my books look like on the Kindle, and we have a work iPad that we load books on to see how they look. Plus, the books I work on are a lot of cookbooks, so not necessarily conducive to reading. But I've never really read a book on anything other than, well, a book.

I took home the work iPad to really experience e-reading and downloaded Dracula. I've always wanted to read Dracula, but I wanted it to be October and I always managed to forget each October.

So here it is October and it's a cold brisk night. My apartment is quiet except for the occasional banging of the neighbors and I've just warmed up a bowl of soup and homemade bread. Other than the lack of a storm raging outside, it's the perfect setting.

One small problem, however, Dracula was NOT meant to be read on an iPad. It was meant to be read on a book that looks as old as the story itself. A book with a few pages that fall out every time you open it. A book that smells a little dank and its cover is nicked at the edge.

I think I'll head to the library tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. I was so hoping one of your other blog readers would come to the rescue of ereaders. I think you just chose the wrong book. Or at least the wrong type of book. I think it is safe to say that classics are not as classic if you cannot hold it in your hands. But what about informative books or that pulp fiction trashy read you sneak in when work is slow and your boss is not around. I can tell you hundreds of times my SciFi novel became my email when the boss walks in my office. I have textbooks up the whazoo that I have at my fingertips if I need them. SO don't discount the ipad or the kindle yet. They fill a niche that no one thought existed years ago.

    ReplyDelete