Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Failing to Plan for Success

On the Amazing Race this week, the self-proclaimed daughter of a tiger mother suffered an emotional breakdown when she failed at something. Her and her fiance won the first leg of the race and were poised to win the second when they misread the instructions on a clue.

The fiance immediately wanted to backtrack to fix their mistake and come back to the finish line. She instead had a meltdown. She called herself stupid, a failure. She, who had been confident with winning, was now incapacitated by this one error.

After much cajoling and dragging, the fiance got her running again. Since eight of the eleven teams did the same thing, their mistake didn't cost them the race and they were still in the running.

This week I found out that one of my books is going to be published. (Cross your fingers, I haven't contracted it yet.) It's an LDS nonfiction book so the market is small and the number of publishers limited. After refusals from all but one publisher, I accepted failure. Six months after pitching it at LDS Storymakers conference, I got a yes.

After the initial seconds of excitement, all I could think was, "Oh, crap. Now what am I supposed to do? I never planned for this.

She couldn't handle failure. I simply accept it as inevitable. But neither should hinder you from moving forward.

2 comments:

  1. That is super awesome. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so freaking exciting!! Do I get to read it first??
    Can't wait to see your name in print and be able to tell people that I knew you back when ...

    ReplyDelete