Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Skiing Topless

In honor of the last week of ski season, I am telling my most embarrassing ski story of the year. 

Since I teach young children to ski, I had to get a tuberculosis test. Now a TB test consists of being pricked in your arm and then having it checked 48 hours later to see if there's any reaction. The check must be done by doctor in that timeframe or you have to get pricked again.

Day 3 of my training to be a ski instructor was supposed to be an all day, indoor affair that was offsite from the resort. All that meant to me was that I wouldn't ski on opening day. However, they released us at 2:00 with the promise we'd have our arms checked by ski patrol.

Though I was desperate to ski, I had one small problem; I wasn't wearing ski clothes. I had my coat and ski pants in my car (I always do, just in case there's a skiing emergency), but I was wearing jeans and a nice blouse. No problem, I thought, I'll just strip down to my underwear and put on my outer clothing with no one being the wiser.

This plan was perfect until I went into ski patrol and they asked me to take my coat off to check my arm. It was only then that I remembered — I wasn't wearing a shirt. 

I pulled the sleeve up on my coat as far as it could go, which was a hair past the injection mark. The doctor did look at me a little oddly as I strained against the coat to get it a little farther up, but he diagnosed me as TB free anyhow.

2 comments: