Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Tips for an Author Signing

I learned a couple of important things at my first author signing.

  1. Don't hold your signing on the most beautiful spring day of the year.
  2. Be very nice to the bookstore staff. Do you think they'll recommend your book if you're a stuck-up diva?
  3. Make a game out of trying to make eye contact with someone who is avoiding making eye contact with you. (I think they're afraid if they make eye contact, they will be guilted into buying your book.)
  4. Bring extra pens that you know work.
  5. Don't hold your signing the same day as a relative's baby shower. (But in my defense I have something like six cousins who are either pregnant or just gave birth.)
  6. Smile.
  7. Show interest in the customers.
  8. And this is the most important one. Always invite your mother so you're guaranteed one person who is amazed by your talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment